Saturday, January 7, 2012

diy: swirl pillow

I have had this idea for a cute swirl pillow in my head for a long time.  I have just recently finished it. I really liked how it turned out.  I wanted the effect of it being like ribbon swirling over a black background.  OK guys. I am weird.  I have this thing that if I am making something with a pattern, I will usually stress out about it a lot more than if I don't.  I just made this pillow from the top of my head, and had some complications, but I pretty much just winged it.  And it turned out pretty well! Weird huh?  So lets get started.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


1. background fabric  I used a heavy black cotton

2. colorful ribbon

3. a pillow form whichever size or shape you want

4. basics; scissors, needle, thread, and sewing machine

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Cut two rectangles in your background fabric to cover your pillow form. 



Pin your first ribbon on to the first rectangle.  I made little folds in the ribbon to make it spiral easier.


I just hand tacked down the little folds with a needle and thread.   Make sure to make a couple of stitches on each side of the fold.  Repeat for all the other spirals you wish to have on your pillow.



Now pin the two rectangles together, right sides together.  Sew together on each side lengthwise, making a tube.



Make sure the tube fits around the pillow comfortably.



Turn back inside out, and sew one end together. 


To make this into a sham, hem the decorated rectangle inward so it wont fray.



And then your done!



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yippee!! I love this pillow.  It has so much room for interpretation!  Enjoy!

Kaylee





No comments:

Post a Comment